Tag Archives: luxury hotels

Mumbai attack accused Kasab pleads guilty – police

2009-07-20T145127Z_01_NOOTR_RTRMDNP_1_India-411717-3-pic0

Mumbai attack accused Kasab pleads guilty – police

The lone surviving gunman from the Mumbai attacks that killed 166 people in November and raised tensions between India and Pakistan pleaded guilty in court, police said.

Pakistani citizen Mohammad Ajmal Kasab, 21, pleaded guilty in a Mumbai court and was recording his confession there, the police officer overseeing the probe into the attacks told Reuters.

“Yes, he has pleaded guilty in court today for the November attacks during a hearing,” senior police officer Rakesh Maria said.

Kasab, who had been videotaped carrying an AK-47 assault rifle while carrying out the assault on Mumbai’s main train station, had been charged with 86 separate offences including murder and waging war against India.

“He has confessed to his role and the fact that he was involved in the attacks that killed so many people during the attacks, the planning and the execution,” Maria told Reuters.

Kasab had pleaded not guilty in May. He was the only one of the 10 gunmen captured alive during the Nov. 26-28 attacks on targets including two luxury hotels, a Jewish centre and the train station.

India has charged 38 people including Kasab over the attack, but most of the accused are in Pakistan, the government says.

New Delhi has demanded Pakistan take concrete action against the perpetrators of the attacks before it will consider reopening five-year old peace talks it broke off after the attacks in November.

The assault on India’s financial capital raised tensions between the nuclear rivals who have been to war three times since their independence from Britain in 1947.

Both sides have exchanged angry rhetoric since the attack, with India saying the gunmen must have had support from official Pakistani agencies. Islamabad denies that, but has acknowledged that the raid had been launched and partly planned from Pakistan.

It has detained several Islamist leaders, including some whom India has named as planners of the guns-and-grenade assault on Mumbai.

Mumbai, Mumbai news, Mumbai world, Mumbai sport, Mumbai technology, Mumbai us, Mumbai malaysia, Mumbai asia, Mumbai entertaiment, Mumbai video, Mumbai photo, Mumbai bf1,  world news, sport news, technology news, us news, malaysia news, asia news, entertaiment news , video news, photo news, bf1 news, news, world, sport, technology, us, malaysia, asia, entertaiment, video, photo, bf1, news channel, news web, news gallery, news space, channel news, channel, web news, web, gallery news, gallery, gay news, lesbian news, french news, japan news, thai news, vietnam news, Mumbai news, Mumbai, obama, obama news, korea news, un news, un, middle east news, bf1 news, deadline, deadline news, free news, newspaper, news paper, healine news, headline, interantional, international news

Attacks force Manchester United to call off Indonesian trip

tn_2009-07-17T072552Z_01_ZAH01_RTRIDSP_2_SOCCER-UNITED-INDONESIA-EXPLOSIONS

Attacks force Manchester United to call off Indonesian trip

Manchester United have been forced to cancel a trip to Indonesia to “safeguard” the team after terrorists targeted the hotel players were to stay in.

At least nine people were killed and 50 injured in the attacks on two luxury hotels in Jakarta.

The explosions blew out windows and scattered debris and glass across the streets.

Disappointed fans were last night cancelling flights and hotel bookings.

South Jakarta police colonel Firman Bundi said four of the dead were foreigners but the Foreign Office said it had no indication of any British casualties.

One of the attacks was on the Ritz-Carlton where United were due to stay for four nights.

The majority of fans who travelled from the UK to follow the team will still be in Kuala Lumpur, according to Ralph Mortimer, secretary of the Greater London branch of the supporters’ club.

“A group of about 20 went from here and they were planning to go to Jakarta on Sunday ready for Monday’s match and spend three days there,” he said.

“There were a few thousand fans going out there from the UK. I suppose they’ll be cancelling their flights and rearranging their accommodation now.”

Tony Burlton (50), from central London, is in Kuala Lumpur with his wife and two friends.

“We’ve just rung up to cancel our flights. From what we’ve heard they are trying to arrange another game to replace the one in Jakarta, we don’t know where it will be but it would be great if it was here,” he said.

“I’d say that any UK fans who were planning to watch the Jakarta match will still be in Kuala Lumpur. The people we met last night in the bar were all flying out with us on Sunday.

“The general feeling here is that the team weren’t being targeted. If they actually did attack the team it would have caused huge resentment among people in this part of the world. They have a lot of Muslim supporters.”

One guest at the Ritz Carlton said the first he knew of the attack was when he received a phone call from some colleagues telling him to get out of the hotel.

Geoffrey Head told BBC News: “Then I noticed the TV wasn’t working. So I looked out of the window… I could see down to ground level and I saw there was a lot of broken glass. So I thought it was time to actually get out. There was no evacuation warning or anything.

“I guess the surreal thing was going down in the elevator and walking through the lobby and looking across to my left and noticing the actual cafe was completely blown out.”

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson said it was “very disappointing” the club had to cancel the game against an Indonesia Super League XI on Monday.

Speaking at a press conference in Kuala Lumpur, Sir Alex said: “We got the news as we landed and it is very disappointing. I have never been to Indonesia before and I know the Indonesian FA have worked very hard on this.

“It is terrible news but we have taken what I believe to be the right decision in terms of safeguarding our players.”

United’s chief executive David Gill said they met with officials from the British High Commission before deciding to cancel their trip.

Mr Gill was asked if advice about potential trouble was given to the club prior to the start of the pre-season trip to the Far East.

“We were aware of the situation but we spoke to the right people and received the correct advice,” he said.

Although there have been no terrorist problems in the country for a number of years and presidential elections passed off peacefully recently, the other hotel that was attacked, the Marriott, was badly damaged by a car bomb attack in 2003 that killed 12 people.

That coincided with a period when Islamic militants from the Jemaah Islamiyah organisation were blamed for numerous attacks, including bombings on the island of Bali in 2002 that killed 202 people.

force, force news, force world, force sport, force technology, force us, force malaysia, force force, force entertaiment, force video, force photo, force bf1,  world news, sport news, technology news, us news, malaysia news, force news, entertaiment news , video news, photo news, bf1 news, news, world, sport, technology, us, malaysia, force, entertaiment, video, photo, bf1, news channel, news web, news gallery, news space, channel news, channel, web news, web, gallery news, gallery, gay news, lesbian news, french news, japan news, thai news, vietnam news, nasa news, nasa, force, force news, korea news, un news, un, middle east news, bf1 news, deadline, deadline news, free news, newspaper, news paper, healine news, headline, interantional, international news

Indonesia police say find bombs, kill two suspects

4

A policeman stand guards as villagers watch a raid on a house in search of militants in Temanggung, Central Java August 8, 2009.

Indonesia police say find bombs, kill two suspects

BEKASI, Indonesia (Reuters) – Indonesian police have killed two suspected Islamic militants and seized up to 500 kg of bombs after a raid on a house in the Bekasi area near the capital Jakarta, police spokesman Nanan Soekarna said on Saturday.

Soekarna also said that police had identified the two suicide bombers — a 19 year-old man and 28 year-old man — who carried out deadly attacks on two luxury hotels in the capital Jakarta last month.

Indonesia,Indonesia News, Indonesia World News, Indonesia Updates, Indonesia Latest, Indonesia Popular, Indonesia Biodata, Indonesia Biography, Indonesia Photo, Indonesia Video, Indonesia History, Indonesia  Scandal, News, World news, World updates news, World today, International news, Local news, Asia news, Asia-Pacific news, Malaysia news, Europe news, U.S news, Americas news, Africa news, Middle East news, America Latin news, Asia, Asia Pacific, Malaysia, Europe, U.S, America, Africa, Middle East, America Latin, Latest news, Popular news, Breaking news, Headline news, Headline, Gallery news, News gallery, News hour, Top stories, News channel, Channel news, News web, Web news, News space, Sports news, Science news, Technology news, Science and technology news, Politics news, Political Scandal, Economy news, Health news, Business news, NASA News, Apollo 11 News, Sports, Science, Technology, Science and technology, Politics, Economy, Health, Business, NASA, APOLLO 11, Tragedy, Terrorism, Terrorist, Bf1