Tag Archives: suicide bombers

Seven foreigners were killed in Jakarta hotel bombs – media

in.reuters.com

Seven foreigners were killed in Jakarta hotel bombs – media

JAKARTA – july 18  – Seven foreigners were among those killed in the bomb attacks on two luxury hotels in Indonesia’s capital, the Jakarta Post newspaper reported on Saturday, citing a police official.

Suicide bombers struck the JW Marriott hotel and close-by Ritz-Carlton, two luxury hotels popular with businessmen and diplomats, in Jakarta’s main business district during breakfast.

Police on Friday said eight people died, revising down an earlier count of nine, and over 60 were injured. On Saturday it seemed the toll had been raised again to nine, including two suicide bombers.

The blasts are a severe blow for Southeast Asia’s biggest economy and for President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono who was re-elected earlier this month in a landslide victory on the back of restoring peace and strong growth to a country with the world’s largest Muslim population.

Police won’t be drawn on who may be responsible for the blasts, but suspicion has fallen on remnants of Jemaah Islamiah, the militant Islamist group responsible for a string of attacks in Indonesia in the first half of the decade.

East Jakarta Police Chief Hasanudin told the English language Jakarta Post that forensic experts were identifying the bodies of seven foreign nationals.

“All were foreigners,” Hasanudin told the Post, adding that all were male.

Police have not released the names of any of the victims yet.

Tim Mackay, chief executive of cement maker Holcim Indonesia and a New Zealand national, was one of several executives attending a CastleAsia Group breakfast at one of the hotels, and was killed in the blast, Holcim said on Friday.

Kompas newspaper reported that two Australians died in the blasts.

Police said on Friday the bombers had checked in to the Marriott as paying guests on Wednesday and had assembled the bombs in their room. A third bomb was found and defused in a laptop computer bag on the 18th floor.

International reaction to the bombings was swift.

U.S. President Barack Obama, who spent four years living in Jakarta as a child after his mother married an Indonesian, called the attacks “outrageous”.

“These attacks make it clear that extremists remain committed to murdering innocent men, women and children of any faith in all countries,” the White House said in a statement.

Jemaah Islamiah or a splinter, blamed for a previous Marriott attack as well as bombings on the island of Bali in 2002 that killed 202 people, are widely suspected to be responsible for Friday’s blasts as the attacks bear the group’s hallmarks — the choice of high-profile Western targets where the victims are likely to be foreigners.

The group, which wants to create an Islamic super-state across parts of Southeast Asia, was blamed for a string of attacks until 2005, but many militants have since been arrested.

According to police, the casualties included citizens of Indonesia, the United States, Australia, South Korea, the Netherlands, Italy, Britain, Canada, Norway, Japan and India.

Jakarta, Jakarta news, Jakarta world, Jakarta sport, Jakarta technology, Jakarta us, Jakarta malaysia, Jakarta Jakarta, Jakarta entertaiment, Jakarta video, Jakarta photo, Jakarta bf1,  world news, sport news, technology news, us news, malaysia news, Jakarta news, entertaiment news , video news, photo news, bf1 news, news, world, sport, technology, us, malaysia, Jakarta, entertaiment, video, photo, bf1, news channel, news web, news gallery, news space, channel news, channel, web news, web, gallery news, gallery, gay news, lesbian news, french news, japan news, thai news, vietnam news, nasa news, nasa, Jakarta, Jakarta news, korea news, un news, un, middle east news, bf1 news, deadline, deadline news, free news, newspaper, news paper, healine news, headline, interantional, international news

DNA shows body of slain militant not Noordin Muhammad Top

ra713529147

DNA shows body of slain militant not Noordin Muhammad Top

JAKARTA, Indonesia – A suspected militant slain during a 16-hour siege with counterterrorism forces last week was not Indonesia‘s most-wanted militant Noordin Muhammad Top, police said Wednesday.

Tests comparing the body’s DNA with members of Noordin’s family came back negative, said Eddy Saparwoko, head of the national police victim identification unit.

Noordin, a Malaysian, has been blamed for a series of deadly al-Qaida-funded attacks in Indonesia since 2003 and is the prime suspect in twin suicide hotel bombings in Jakarta on July 17 that killed seven people.

Last month’s attacks ended a four-year lull in terrorism in Indonesia, the world’s most populous Muslim-majority nation. Bombings have killed more than 250 people in Indonesia since 2002, most of them on the resort island of Bali, where a 2002 attack killed 202 people.

“The DNA test didn’t match with Noordin’s family,” Saparwoko told a nationally televised press conference Wednesday.

Local media had reported that Noordin, a self-proclaimed al-Qaida commander who has eluded capture in Indonesian and Malaysia since 2001, was slain in a gunbattle with security forces.

But Saparwoko said the man who died in the shootout at a farmhouse in central Java on Saturday was a florist, identified only as Ibrohim. He made floral arrangements at the J.W. Marriott Hotel and Ritz-Carlton, where suicide bombers attacked last month during breakfast, killing themselves and wounding more than 50 others.

Chief national police spokesman Nanan Sukarna identified Ibrohim as “a planner and arranger of the bombings” and said that five other suspects in the blasts remain at large, including Noordin.

Ibrohim, who worked in the hotels at least two years prior to the July bombings, began scouting the targets three months in advance and smuggled explosives in through a basement cargo dock a day before the strikes, Nanan said, showing newly-released security camera footage.

The grainy images show a lone man driving a small pickup truck into the J.W. Marriott Hotel and unloading what police said were three containers of explosives, apparently after skirting all security checks.

The video also showed Ibrohim leading the suicide bombers, one of them an 18-year-old high school graduate, through the hotels on July 8, apparently in a rehearsal for the attacks plotted from two rented safe houses on the outskirts of the capital, Jakarta.

“We know him. He worked as a third-party florist,” said Allan Orlob, head of security for the U.S.-owned J.W. Marriott and Ritz-Carlton 5-star hotels.

Ibrohim resigned the morning of the bombings, Orlob told The Associated Press on Wednesday, and left only a letter to his employer in which he asked that part of his last pay check be used to repay several people who loaned him money.

Noordin Muhammad Top,Noordin Muhammad Top News, Noordin Muhammad Top World News, Noordin Muhammad Top Updates, Noordin Muhammad Top Latest, Noordin Muhammad Top  Popular, Noordin Muhammad Top Biodata, Noordin Muhammad Top Biography, Noordin Muhammad Top Photo, Noordin Muhammad Top Video, Noordin Muhammad Top History, Noordin Muhammad Top Scandal, News, World news, World updates news, World today, International news, Local news, Asia news, Asia-Pacific news, Malaysia news, Europe news, U.S news, Americas news, Africa news, Middle East news, America Latin news, Asia, Asia Pacific, Malaysia, Europe, U.S, America, Africa, Middle East, America Latin, Latest news, Popular news, Breaking news, Headline news, Headline, Gallery news, News gallery, News hour, Top stories, News channel, Channel news, News web, Web news, News space, Sports news, Science news, Technology news, Science and technology news, Politics news, Political Scandal, Economy news, Health news, Business news, NASA News, Apollo 11 News, Sports, Science, Technology, Science and technology, Politics, Economy, Health, Business, NASA, APOLLO 11, Tragedy, Terrorism, Terrorist, Bf1,netbook, notebook, software, audio players, Misc, Peripherals,

Indonesia police say find bombs, kill two suspects

4

A policeman stand guards as villagers watch a raid on a house in search of militants in Temanggung, Central Java August 8, 2009.

Indonesia police say find bombs, kill two suspects

BEKASI, Indonesia (Reuters) – Indonesian police have killed two suspected Islamic militants and seized up to 500 kg of bombs after a raid on a house in the Bekasi area near the capital Jakarta, police spokesman Nanan Soekarna said on Saturday.

Soekarna also said that police had identified the two suicide bombers — a 19 year-old man and 28 year-old man — who carried out deadly attacks on two luxury hotels in the capital Jakarta last month.

Indonesia,Indonesia News, Indonesia World News, Indonesia Updates, Indonesia Latest, Indonesia Popular, Indonesia Biodata, Indonesia Biography, Indonesia Photo, Indonesia Video, Indonesia History, Indonesia  Scandal, News, World news, World updates news, World today, International news, Local news, Asia news, Asia-Pacific news, Malaysia news, Europe news, U.S news, Americas news, Africa news, Middle East news, America Latin news, Asia, Asia Pacific, Malaysia, Europe, U.S, America, Africa, Middle East, America Latin, Latest news, Popular news, Breaking news, Headline news, Headline, Gallery news, News gallery, News hour, Top stories, News channel, Channel news, News web, Web news, News space, Sports news, Science news, Technology news, Science and technology news, Politics news, Political Scandal, Economy news, Health news, Business news, NASA News, Apollo 11 News, Sports, Science, Technology, Science and technology, Politics, Economy, Health, Business, NASA, APOLLO 11, Tragedy, Terrorism, Terrorist, Bf1